Thursday, June 4, 2009

How to get up early




Leaders get that the real fight is the fight against time. So much to achieve/innovate and influence. And so few hours in a day. The solution? Get up uber-early. That way you have your day - versus your day having you.

I was up early this am. One of the gifts I give myself. As I mentioned on Twitter, I spent time reviewing my Core Values. And building out a template for an "on game" day.

I thought it might be helpful to you if I shared what I do to help me get up between 4 and 5 am on most days (aside from travel days):

1. I try to workout daily. This dramatically drives energy levels. You'll feel more inspired. And you'll need less sleep.

2. A massage each week. This isn't an expense - it's an investment in your full creative expression/productivity/passion and sustained excellent health. And you'll find you need far less sleep.

3. Do your Holy Hour. If you've read The Greatness Guide , you know about this key leadership practice. Take 60 minutes from 5-6 am and get inspired. Read superb books. Write about your hopes, goals and dreams within your journal. Say your mantras. Hit the gym. You'll start feeling so good/energetic, getting up early will be effortless.

4. Meditation. I just find that 30 minutes of meditation in the morning clears out my mind. And with less worry and more clarity, I sleep more deeply. So I need less.

5. Remember The 40 Day Rule. Any new practice will feel foreign/stressful/hard for the first 40 days as you repattern. Stick with the 5 am rise. Have the courage and persistence to get this habit installed. After 40 days, you'll have a new protocol in place that - I promise you - will boost your leadership and pour far more passion/success/happiness into every area of your life.

No comments: